No one can disagree with the fact that VPNs have been a necessity these days. And this necessity arises from different countries’ banning different sites and apps from their countries. But by using a VPN, you can overcome this problem.
If you are a regular VPN user, you might have noticed that your connection slows down when it’s connected to a VPN. It is pretty normal and you can expect almost a 30% decrease in speed while using a VPN.
Also Read: Some Precautionary Steps to Stay Anonymous on the Internet
As we move further into the article, we will discuss the reasons behind the slowed internet connection on your Linux device when you connect it to a VPN and how to overcome it.
Different Ways To Speed Up A VPN Connection On Linux
Below, we have discussed some of the ways through which you can adjust the speed of your VPN connection.
Try It With Different Servers
When using a VPN, try to connect your device to different servers even if your connection service is the fastest. You can check the speed of your internet connection by performing a quick speed test on any website.
Also Read: Proxychains – Run Commands and Applications using Proxy Tunnels
Set Custom DNS
You can try out various custom DNS for better connection speed and experience, like Cloudflare or OpenDNS. For example, below we are providing you with OpenDNS addresses that you can set on your device.
Try Changing The Default Protocol From Within The App
Firstly, if you experience any problems with the VPN connection, you’d better change the VPN protocol. If you don’t know how to do it, then follow these 2 simple and easy steps.
- Execute command “
sudo nordlayer settings set“
- Here you will see the first option of choosing the “VPN control”. This way, you can change the default protocol.
After changing the VPN protocol, check your internet speed again; hopefully this should’ve fixed the problem.
Look And Try For The Manual VPN Connection
The manual VPN connection will help you in a way that you will be provided a basic VPN connection. It will bypass all the features that may slow down your connection in some way.
First things first, we will discuss the reasons behind why you should choose a manual or openVPN connection.
- You have more control over what applications are being installed.
- The operating system provides good support.
- Convenient management without the headache of changing settings.
- A good connection and running on poor and weak machines.
Try Resetting the Network Settings
One other thing that you can do to speed up the VPN connection on Linux is to reset your device’s network connection. If you’re clueless about how it’s done, then no need to worry. Just follow the simple steps discussed below.
- Firstly, you will have to open the terminal and type in the commands that we are providing. It will help in cleaning the firewalls and DNS rules.
- Try installing an easy-to-use chrome extension to go completely anonymous on your Linux operating system and get the benefit of using your computer from a different IP with a single click.
Similarly, you can also go for the option of rebooting your device for a better connection.
After you have followed the full process, you can check if your IP has changed with the free Chrome extension in order to verify that you are surfing anonymously.
Disable The Other Interfering Apps
Sometimes, other interfering apps like antivirus, file sharing clients, or some other VPN might be using the same resources and features that result in a slowed down VPN connection.
Moreover, your internet connection’s speed can be greatly affected by the hardware and firmware of your device.
There are some steps that we recommend.
- Sometimes, the new routers provided to you by your internet service provider can also be the reason for a slowed internet connection. And the reason behind it can be faulty firmware or low quality manufacturing. It is a big reason for slowed connections. Therefore, you should always purchase a good router.
In this article, we discussed how to overcome the problem of a slowed internet connection when you connect it to a VPN. Firstly, it is common and almost everybody faces it.
But you can surely improve the speed by trying different servers, changing the default protocol, and setting custom DNS to provide their address.
Similarly, trying a manual VPN connection and resetting the network setting along with disabling the other apps can also help with a better connection.
Lastly, sometimes the apps running in the background can also be the cause of poor connection, so close them. Also, choose a good quality router because its quality can also greatly impact the internet speed.
TREND OCEANS is an independent Information Technology web portal. Our belief is to make every individual aware of Linux, Open-Source, and Coding that help you learn and sharpen your tech skill effectively with our high-quality daily content.